Hello, all! I hope you’re getting a chance to enjoy Labor Day! I’m spending most of it getting caught up on work, emails, bloggy things, and cleaning. Grown-up problems, eh? ;)
Oh, and trying to tackle this massive 11lb tomato haul from our garden…
I still can’t believe what a great turnout we’ve had this year, especially considering we’ve never gardened before! Salsa canning is definitely on the agenda today.
And, since we’re officially into September, it’s time to get back to basics! I mentioned in my last post about the challenge Brooke is hosting, and I couldn’t be more pumped to tackle this month! There’s over 200 people in the Facebook group – I just can’t believe it! :) Anyone is welcome to join in, so if you were still thinking about it – come on over!
Back to Basics: Improving Your Spaces
This week’s assignment has us tackling our spaces. Brooke gave us a great list of suggested spaces to clean up and ways to improve them to help us on our weight loss journeys, no matter what plan/system we’re using. I’m really glad that she chose this topic for Week One of our challenge. Taking a close look at how my spaces are helping or hurting my efforts will help lay a solid foundation for healthy habits. Think about it – don’t you feel more stressed out when your spaces (home, work, car, etc) aren’t organized? For me … I get stressed and make unhealthy decisions – like grabbing something convenient (ex: vending machine food) when my office isn’t properly stocked with healthy snacks.
I plan on tackling two major spaces this week, and sharing with you how I changed them to suit my weight-loss goals! Here’s what I’m hoping to accomplish:
home (workout space + prepping for morning exercise)
I am so not a morning person, and I pretty much loathe working out in my living room. However, both of those things have to happen if I want to get exercise in. The husband and I work opposite schedules (which means I need to work out at home to stay with the little one) and let’s face it – after a super long day at the office, I’m just not motivated to bust my butt.
- Create a place for all workout accessories: headbands, towels, and gadgets. Keep them here every time for easy access.
- Night before - mix up Spark and place workout clothes on my bathroom counter. That way I can get up, splash water on face, drink my Spark (energy/amino supplement) and change before my body objects. ;)
- Create a home-gym space, NOT in the living room: my living room is too small and cozy. I’ve started to set up a space in my garage (free treadmill and a TV i haven’t hooked up yet), so now is the time to finish it! I need to hang a tapestry, hang my vision board and weight loss chart, find a DVD player for the TV and just make it a pretty space. Well, as pretty as the corner of the garage can get. :)
work (organize desk space + stock healthy snacks)
I spend A LOT of my day being stressed at my office job. A lot of my stress can be alleviated by making a few simple changes. I’ve already made some effort in this area – I have a standing desk that helps a lot – but it’s time to make it the best I can!
- Clean up files: both literally and digitally. Pretty self-explanatory
- Stock up on healthy snacks: I used to have an emergency snack drawer that I kept filled. Now my office set-up is slightly different, so I need to come up with a new area for these.
- Hang some motivational quotes/worksheets: If I can see it every day, it’ll permeate my brain, right? ;)
- Set up reminders: Work can get so crazy that it’s really easy to forget to drink water, stand up for a while (I have an adjustable desk) or take a quick stretching/walking break.
So there we go!
I’m hoping off the computer and getting started right away on my home space project. Wish me luck! :)