Taffy offers workout clothing for women sizes 14-24. I LOVE that there are companies out there catering exclusively to us plus-size ladies; it’s refreshing to see, in a world of 0-10 clothing being everywhere, and plus-sizes being shoved into the back corner.
The concept is simple: when you feel good about how you look, you work out harder. Our mission is to help plus size women feel confident about the way they look in activewear. Whatever their goal, curvy women can look stylish and attractive as they lead healthier, more active lives.
Taffy is a stylish new line of activewear designed specifically and exclusively for women sizes 14-24. All tops and bottoms are tailored to fit and flatter a woman’s curves. Taffy Activewear combines fashion and function effortlessly in order for you to get as much enjoyment from your outfit – and workout – as possible.
I was able to choose any piece from their online collection. After some serious hemming and hawing, I decided on the Essential Capris. One – because I ALWAYS need more pants, and TWO – because pants are one of the hardest items to totally nail. Especially for plus-size folks. My lovely lady lumps need a place to feel confident, supported, and ready to take on that spring Couch to 5k training!
Yeah, that was my best “look at my booty” picture I could snag for you. ;)
In the past few weeks, I’ve worn these snazzy capris for …
- cardio bootcamp
- incline walking on treadmill
- Jillian Michael’s Body Revolution (just randomly picked on disc)
- around the house, cleaning and chilling.
What I loved
- They are super flattering to a curvy figure! The stripes work in all the right places. Just sayin’.
- The moisture-wicking is great. Because of the high polyester count, these bad-boys do a great job stopping sweat where it falls. Think of your tech-tees they hand out at races. Same idea!
- The mesh panels give a breathable feel. They’re a tad see-through (see below photo), but nothing outrageous. This was especially nice while running. A little bit of breeze goes a long way with those panels. Instant cooling system!
What I didn’t love
- I have a love/Hate relationship with the fabric. OKay, it holds water well, but that also means it’s not super breathable. The mesh helps, but it’s not a cure-all. My biggest gripe is that it offers practically ZERO compression. The Taffy site says it provides semi-compression,but I would disagree. Maybe it’s my body type (I carry most of my weight in my belly), but I would think a lot of plus-size gals might feel me on this one: the last thing I want when I’m jogging is to feel my stomach bouncing/slapping all around. My beloved Old Navy compression pants (which are oddly similar in composition, just slightly more spandex) hold tighter and provide a lot more control and comfort. These kind of felt like wearing dress pants to work out in. Comfy, cute, but not super functional for my body.
- The construction? Fit? Something? So because the fabric gives little support, they fall off like WHOA. I ordered a 3x, as per their sizing guide, which is the largest they carry (I typically wear a 22/24 pant-size). The actual fit/size was spot-on. Not too tight, not too lose, I could easily bend my legs and squat. However, the second I started really moving (running, walking, jumping, etc), they started to slip. And slip fast. Because they don’t have that suck-you-in compression, they don’t seem to hold much of a shape. If you had a bit more junk in the trunk (hello, meet my flat booty) the pants might work out better. I could see that having a little something more to hang onto would be beneficial for this cut/style. With my pancake-butt, there just wasn’t much hope. ;)
So, in the end, I don’t think these pants were my cup of tea for my body type. If you’re more pear-shaped, go for it!!
Like I said in the beginning of this post – I look for clothes that make me feel confident. They hug my curves, they offer support where I need it, and they provide a functionality for my workouts. While the Taffy Essential capris are cute and comfy, I won’t be wearing them out on my morning runs or bootcamp workouts. Good for around the house? You betcha. I live in workout clothes anyway, so it will be a welcome addition to my wardrobe. :)
And lookie here: you can win a pair to try for yourself!
What about you? What do YOU look for in your active wear? Do you have a favorite brand?